Sunday, July 5, 2015

Livin' La Vida Loca (aka being a college student) Part 1




Hello, lovelies!

Today I figured I would write a little something about college. As you may or may not remember from previous posts and my about me tab, I shared that I just finished my first year of college studying Music Education. This coming fall I will be entering my second year, and I think I learned a thing or two during the time I spent on campus. For those of you reading this as incoming freshman, my hope is that you all feel as if you've received a "sneak peak" into your potential college life (and if you're already past that point in your life, just read it and give me very hearty "amen") Alright, let's get started!

Well, I guess I'll start with choosing your college. If I'm completely and utterly honest, I didn't know where I wanted to go for a while. I guess I kind of just pushed it to the side (maybe I was thinking if I didn't make a decision, one would just magically be made for me). DON'T DO THIS. I repeat, DON'T DO THIS. This is something that you will have to learn in 
collegetaking responsibility and making decisions for yourself. 

I'm not saying people won't be there to help you. Actually, if you choose the appropriate college for you, you will find that there are plenty of people who are beyond willing to offer advice and counsel. Having said that, no one is going to hold your hand either. College is all about responsibility. You're an adult now, and your professors, counselors, friends and family are there to guide, not decide. This is something that I had to learn the hard way, but eventually I got the hang of!

Don't be afraid to study something you loveeven when people tell you differently. College will be miserable for you if you choose to study something because it's "practical". This will be a time of exploration and you don't want studying something you don't care for to get in the way. Plus, it's a waste of your money, time, and talent. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” -Confucius

Make friends and build your group of friends.  
Unlike high school, in college you have the opportunity to be friends with people in all sorts of fields. All sorts of ages, too. You never know who will be in your classes, what major they will be, or how old they are! Give them a chance though. I know it can be scary to reach out to people, but you will be so glad you did. I mean, who is going to go on late night T-Bell runs with you at midnight if you don't have any totally awesome friends from all over campus? 

That's it for this post! I will continue this advice next week. Comment anything you'd like to hear about in the next post, or tweet, or talk to me on tumblr


Later gators ♡


No comments:

Post a Comment