Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Finding Time to Relax


So, I'm going to be honest. 

I've been very stressed out lately. I think it carried over from the end of the last semester (I love you too, Finals Week) but for some reason it just decided to stick around. Now, with only a few weeks of summer, I'd like to take a moment to relax. 

Not just "sit and do nothing" relax, but a true, content relax. I want to feel refocused and centered. 

This post will hopefully show you the importance of relaxation, and give some ideas about how to find the time to relax.

I think that there are several things we can do to get refocused and recharged. For one thing, we can unplug. Put your phone on do not disturb. Shut off your laptop, and don't turn on the TV. I found a recent study done in Canada that explained that humans no longer can consistently pay attention for 12 seconds...it's gone down by four whole seconds. Eight seconds is the average attention span of a human being. That's one second shorter than a goldfish's attention span! These studies are saying that our society's addiction to our screens has drastically affected us, and I agree. When I unplug, I begin to feel a clarity and focus that gets lost in the moment sometimes. 

Trust me, you will feel so much better once the electronics are off. 

Allow yourself to breathe deep breaths. 

Fill your mind with calm, clear thoughts. 

It's very important for our mental health to take this private time to reflect on our thoughts and emotional state. I know how easy it is to get caught up in the fast pace of life, but if you don't take these moments to yourself, it can impact you not only mentally, but physically as well. 

Schedule time to do this. Make it a habit. Your body needs to recharge, and not just when you're sleeping! 

I find it best to quiet my thoughts in the early morning, or late at night. Sometimes I will wake up early, and get ready for my day while the house is silent. I'll make my coffee and breakfast, go outside and sit on our front porch. From there, I can hear the birds singing, feel the sunlight on my skin and the morning breeze on my face, and I feel at one with the earth and nature.

At night time, I like to make tea and close my eyes, taking in the energy of my dark, quiet house. 

Try yoga, occasionally. I really feel like I am able to center myself through this medium. It's something about not just using my mind, but connecting my mind and body through true focus. (And if you feel as if you can't do yoga, do some simple stretches instead.Your body will thank you for it!)

When I do yoga, I usually put on a Tibetan singing bowls playlist and just allow it to relax my body. It's a very neutral sound...not distracting, but revitalizing and fusing together my thoughts and my body. 

I can't overemphasize the importance of relaxation. 

For those of you who are going into college, or are in college, this will be beyond crucial for your sanity. Believe me, your grades, friendships, romantic relationships, and family life will be affected by your stress levels. 

I'm not writing this because I feel like I'm an expert. I'm writing it because it's something I'm learning along with you guys. I want to be a better steward of my emotions and mental health, and I want to help other people achieve that goal as well. 


If you have any other suggestions, or just want to discuss this topic with me, comment, tweet me, or talk to me on tumblr

1 comment:

  1. I am never calm, my brain is always 1000 miles an hour! I might try relaxing in the morning :) xx

    ReplyDelete