Wednesday, December 30, 2015

An Open Letter to 2015 Me


Wait, it's almost 2016? 

I can't believe that a new year is about to begin. I know, everyone says that every year but I truly am shocked by how fast this past year has come and gone. This fall semester was full of personal growth and life lessons that I didn't really expect to hit me this year, but they did anyway. 

Life has a funny way of throwing obstacles in your path, and to be honest, I hit a lot of those in 2015. Don't get me wrong, some amazing things occurred in 2015 for me as well, and I'm so grateful for those experiences. I think that it's important for us to reflect on our year as we bring in the next one because there is always something to learn from ourselves and the people in our lives. We NEVER stop learning. 

I thought that it would be fitting for me to write myself a letter. Now, I say it's an "open letter", but it may get specific at times, just because I want to be honest with not only myself but with you all as well. 

Before I jump into it, I just wanted to say thank you to those who supported me while I was starting my blog. You all inspire me and I needed that to stay motivated! We have almost reached 7,500 pageviews and I think that is amazing. You all are wonderful. 

So, without further ado, I hope you all can read this and perhaps reflect on your own life in a similar manner!




Dear Me, 

Wow. I'm so proud of you. 

You are a strong, wonderful person. This year was rough, and at some points it almost had you...but you pushed through. I know it's easy to look at all of the mistakes you've made, or the people you've hurt, but you also need to remember to allow yourself to be human. 

You've accomplished so much this year! From starting a blog to finishing your third semester of college, you've got a lot to be proud of yourself for. In the rush of life, don't forget that you have so much to offer because you're smart and uplifting to others. 

I know there were those dark nights...and I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry that you were ever in that place of doubt and low self-worth. But you know what? Someone else you meet in your life, maybe even in 2016, will also be struggling in that same manner. You are now equipped with the knowledge of how to BE there for people who are in pain but put a mask on to the whole world. 

I hope that you learn that you can be yourself. I'm going to call you outyou talk a lot of game about being comfortable with yourself, but honey...you're not. People will like you for you, and if they don't, let it roll off your back. You don't need to waste time pleasing people who don't want to really get to know you. Don't care so much about what others think. 

Love with your whole heart, and if you don't then let go. Don't hang onto things that are broken if they don't show any signs of being fixed, because you'll just damage so many more people. Letting go HURTS, but sometimes things have to hurt for a little while, and that's okay. 

Hey, it's okay to need help. I also know you're stubborn and you hate giving up, but getting help isn't giving up. Let others help you in the way you love to help them. You are not perfect and you never will be (hard to hear when you're a perfectionist, right) but don't let your fear of disappointing those you love get in the way of you progressing in your personal growth. 

Speaking of personal growth, you've learned a lot about yourself this year. It may feel like the majority of what you learned was about your flaws, but I think you also learned what you're good at. You have to maintain that focus to succeed because the field you want to enter is very competitive and these years are the time for you to soak up all of the knowledge you can about your trade. 

You will be successful in 2016, don't worry. As long as you care about yourself and those around you, it will all be okay. Love others, because the people in this world need love above all else. 

I love you 2015 Me. Let's do amazing things in 2016.

Desiree xo 


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Self love, for the win! Sounds like you had a pretty amazing year. I look forward to reading more of your blog in 2016. :)
    xo
    MacKensie
    www.onetonothin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post, Desiree! Self love and positive reinforcements are always really nice to read about, especially when it's done retrospectively as you look back on the past year. Love the encouragement you give yourself too, it's made me realise I need to be more encouraging of my own self. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete